Thursday, December 29, 2011

Yesterday



We were just kids


Compared to who we are now


Young hearts and old souls


Ill-prepared for what stood ahead


But strong enough to bear through


I didn't know much about you 


But your amber eyes told a familiar story


For a brief moment I knew your name


Your troubles buried deep inside


I watched as your long fingers


Danced upon jaded guitar strings


Your olive skin and chocolate brown hair


Glimmered in the warm southern California sun


Where you are now I do not know


From coast to coast I still remember


The summer before my life began


I was lost out in some blinding place


While you were sinking in the dark


I was like a blank canvas


Searching for all of the right answers


In all of the wrong places


While you followed your path


Leading up to the sky


I stayed here on earth


And if we meet again sometime


I'll look at you and smile


They didn't understand


That you were the real thing babe


You were the real thing.

No comments: