Monday, February 6, 2012

The Ghost of The Past

Time stopped with you
I forgive you for not listening
They weren't saying important things anyway
You knew how to turn the day around
And how to make the end of something
Feel like the beginning of everything else
It was you all along
Lighting up the sky each day
Competing with the sun
And when I didn't have the answers
You'd know exactly what to say
You read the thoughts in my head
Troubled or at ease
Perhaps you were just too much
For one wandering soul to handle
Do you remember everything vividly?
I can still feel the wind in my hair
With nothing but the world at our backs
In the wake of simplicity
We knew we could never return
To that moment we wanted to keep forever
Faded photographs do no justice
To the revelation of ourselves
Becoming who we were supposed to be
We broke our own hearts, did you see it coming?
You who could predict the future
And all the things it would leave behind
As we each breathe different air
From skies miles apart
Do your senses get tricked like mine do?
Sometimes I think I hear your voice
Telling me not to get ahead of myself
To slow down and let the world turn on its own
Sometimes I swear I breathe your scent
On pillowcases that miss you almost as desperately as I do
I can still feel your lips on the back of my neck
Begging me to fall asleep
As shivers trickle down my spine
If there are no such thing as second chances
Then I'm afraid I don't know what I'm waiting for
You said it right the first time
Shouting at a trembling echo, "You never know what you're missing until it's gone"

No comments: