Friday, December 24, 2010

I will. I promise.

We were better than that.
We were better than all the roses, the chocolate, the jewelry, the gifts.
We had the sun, the stars, and each other. 
That's all we really needed. 
We were the real thing, weren't we?
You would run your fingers up and down my spine and then through my hair.
I would trace every part of your face, every inch of your body.
We breathed each other in, we became one.
So that if someday, we fell apart, our senses would never forget. 
That was a mistake. 
When I was around you, the universe was aligned perfectly.
There was no yesterday, no tomorrow.
Just now. 
Just you.
We were the real thing.

If only we could have stuck to our guns, and not have let the world get in our way.

But things started to fall out of place. 
People got in the way.
Feelings got in the way.
Time got in the way.
I went from being free to being a prisoner.
Bright eyes glazed over.
Chained to the hope that one day, things would go back to the way they used to be.
But they never did.
They only worsened.
My heart became an open wound, and you carved into it, relentlessly, every single day.
And it hurt like hell, each day less, until I became numb.
Reduced to nothing but a dull ache.
Then you came to my door, and you brought me a rose.
That was when I knew it was all over.
And a thousand thorns would feel like nothing compared to what I felt that day.

No comments: