You make all these plans, all these goals you want to achieve. All these things you will never do, because in two months, you'll change your mind. A "to-do" list that will only have half of the words crossed out. You have an vague idea, a picture in your head. Something to work towards.
You call this the future.
You have all these regrets, all these things you say you'll never do again. You know they'll be repeated. You look back, you remember everything like a silent movie playing in your head. Perfect lighting, perfect characters...if only it had a happy ending. The ending you wanted. But it didn't.
You call this the past.
Really, there is no future. There was no past. There is only the present. There is only now. For tomorrow may not come. Next summer may not come. A few years from now may not come. The truth is that the past and the future, they only make us feel nostalgic or unfulfilled. If we live for the moment, for the now, perhaps we can finally be happy.
Because the present is all there will ever be.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Jenna,
I was googling myself, and stumbled upon your blogs. My name is Jenna Putnam, too :)
I thought you might find it interesting that I am also 23 and live in California (I saw on your lookbook) !
I really enjoy your blog, I've only read a few of your posts, but I find them very beautiful as I also enjoy writing. Your piece, "this pill is too big to swallow" is incredible. It's very much in the style of how I like to write.
I thought it was cool that we had these things in common and thought you might enjoy hearing from another Jenna Putnam :)
Kindest regards,
Jenna
p.s. I don't update here too often, but I do have a Tumblr
http://duajejunna.tumblr.com/
and some writing here
http://www.tumblr.com/tumblelog/alleydove
if you are so inclined :)
Post a Comment