Saturday, August 29, 2009

birth

Each morning I awaken with a different thought in my head, a different feeling. It's as though I am a new person each day, even if just for that single moment. Sometimes I wake with a question, sometimes with a goal, sometimes with a destination, and sometimes with nothing at all. I wonder who I am, who I have been, and who I will be. But one thing stays the same...I wake up alone. Wether it be by myself or next to somebody, it does not change. That being said, I am left with a lot of time to think. Throughout our lives we are taught many things. How to walk, how to speak, how to share, how to read, how to write, how to think, how to process, how to be successful...the list goes on. But we are never taught how to love, how to lose, how to fail, how to be happy, how to cry, or how to simply manage. I suppose these things are expected to be innate to us all. We are always seeking answers. Some of us learn through experience, while others are at a constant loss. We are told from the beginning that in order for life to be complete, we must fall in love, get married, and have children. But many of us come from broken families and broken homes...the only love we know lays in shambles scattered across the floor. When we are young and naive, we expect life to be a breeze, we believe that love is like a fairytale. We can't wait to grow older. We think that all things are beautiful, all smiles genuine, and that the words we hear and stories we are told consist of nothing but truth and fact. Then we become older, we doubt, and we rebel when we start to see the reality of it all. We see how the world works and how people are. We begin to search for and examine the dark side of things, mostly because we were never shown. We try to find our purpose in this world every day. I often wonder if anyone can say they have truly succeeded in finding it. I suppose we could go on forever trying to make sense of things, however, I feel that nothing is meant to make sense. I feel that life exists simply for us to enjoy it. Perhaps we as people are too complex, always complicating things. Maybe life is just as simple as it was from the first moment we opened our eyes to see it...

1 comment:

Hilary said...

this is very well written but i disagree.